Archived messages

Mar 14, 2010 at 11:02 AM

What does the merger do with archived messages? Are they handled in any way?

Coordinator
Mar 16, 2010 at 9:24 PM

what do you mean by "archived messages"?

basically, the merger takes 2 msn log files (in text / xml format) and merger them into 1 log file.

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:46 PM

When a log file reachers a certain filesize, I think it is 5 MB or something, Messenger will give a message that the log file has reached the maximum size and then ask if I want to archive the old messages. If I say yes to this it will (by default) save the current log file as "logfilename - Archive (n).xml", where logfilename is the regular name and (n) is an incrementing number. For example for one of my contacts I have:

• contactname12345678.xml
  • contactname12345678 - Archive (3).xml
  • contactname12345678 - Archive (2).xml
  • contactname12345678 - Archive (1).xml
  • contactname12345678 - Archive.xml

So the oldest messages are at the bottom one and then newer messages up till the current log file with the newest one.

How are these archived files handled? Are they handled in any way? And is the 5 MB size limit taken into account when log files are merged?

My suggestion would be to archive the current log file first, and make sure it doesn't go above 5 MB (or maybe keep it down to less so it doesn't have to be archived immidiately), then take "overflowing" messages together with all messages in the archived files and merge these into one big archive file (since as far as I know they aren't used by messenger, so they might as well be bigger. But yeah... don't really know how it should be done or what others might think about that. One issue with just archiving file by file is that you might end up with some log messages in two archives since the archives might have been created at different times.

Coordinator
Mar 25, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Right, now I see what you mean. I wasn't aware of that feature...

Sadly, the current version won't handle archived messages - it can only handle 1 log files from each source.

However, from your explanation I'm inclined to understand the archived files will never contain duplicates or anything of that sort. This means you can easily concatenate all archived files into 1 big file and use that uber log file as the first source for the merger. Probably if you use that uber log file in messenger, it will identify that it's a big file and create a new smaller for you to use.

Would that work?